What is a Baby Monitor?
The Baby Monitor is a special type of equipment which help you to protect your child from danger & help you to take better care of your little one. In some condition, Breathing pace of the newborn baby is not even, some time the breathing pattern is too fast, and sometimes it may be too slow. Those uneven breathing patterns will stress you; the baby monitor will help in this condition.
Baby Monitor will help you to better care of your baby; Children are blessings of God, lots of companies and their experts have invented the Baby Movement Monitor which will help you to protect your baby from any threat better.
There are different types of the baby monitor which are made for different needs; The Baby Monitor is the remarkable invention, It will help you to protect your baby from all kind of dangers.
A parent who are using baby monitor or report shows that they sleep better because they know the monitor will alert them if their little ones wakes up or feels unwell. We know baby monitors will never be able to replace a parent or guardian, but monitor will increasingly helpful. In the end, It is just a piece of equipment like a third pair of eyes.
This article helps you choose a perfect Baby Monitor. So without any further delay, let’s get started…
What do Baby Monitor cost?
For almost all the parents, a baby monitor is an essential tool for the nursery, which allows you to listen and see the real-time status of your baby. Talking about the cost, there are two basic types of monitors : Only Audio and Audio/Video combination.
- Only Audio Monitors range in price from $15 to $75.
- Video Monitors cost $50 to $200.
The standard Audio Baby Monitor will come with a one-parent unit, one child unit, AC adapter, and battery backup. Talking about the Video Monitor, the video monitor will come with a tabletop of the wall-mounted camera, at least one video monitor (with some model you need to use your phone as a monitor) and an AC adapter. A baby monitor will give you the convenience of check on your baby without having to be present in their bedroom and risk waking them up. You can lead around your house or even outside, and be immediately alerted if your child makes a sound or is unwell.
Questions should ask yourself before buying a Baby Monitor
Do You Really Need a Baby Monitor?
If you and your baby sleep in the same room or you live in a small apartment where you can always hear or see what your baby is doing then in that condition you probably don’t need a monitor. A baby monitor is for a parent who always not stay with their child, and due to the ample space, they can’t hear the sound of crying. A baby monitor will help you to know the real-time status of your baby. The baby monitor offers you the convenience of getting things done around the house anytime.
Why do you need a Baby Monitor?
It is imperative to understand your needs at the time of buying baby monitor because different types of baby monitors are developed for different needs. Like long-range baby monitor is best if you live in a big house, for a small apartment you don’t need a long-range baby monitor.
Video or Audio Monitor
Both the monitors are perfect but made for different needs, Like video monitor will help you to know the real-time status of your baby, but it will cost you more than audio monitor, Audio Monitor will only allow you to listen the sound from your baby’s room. We suggest you go with a Video Monitor because the monitor will provide you more features.
How many receivers or transmitter do you need?
Usually, the baby monitor comes with one receiver and one transmitter, but in some particular condition, you will need an extra camera (transmitter), like if you have twins and both are in different rooms, So in order to monitor both of them you need an additional camera, You may also need extra receiver if two-person want to monitor the baby.
How wide range will you need?
Range of monitor will always matter. If you live in a small apartment, then you don’t need a baby monitor with a long-range, but the issues of range matters if you are in the big house. It has range 500- 1200 feet.
Things to consider before buying Baby Monitor
- To reduce the possible interference and increase clarity, You should go with a model which has the frequency of more than 900 Mhz or higher.
- The battery is the life of every electronic device; You should go with a baby monitor, which has the feature of low battery alerts or the model with a prominent low battery light.
- It’s time of wireless; A wireless receiver will give you the most options for finishing chores inside and outside the house. Look for one with a belt clip to free up your hands.
- You should go with a model with a sound-activated light; this will flash when it detects noise, It will help you to track of your infant while doing other work like vacuuming, talking on the phone, or listening to music.
- Always consider going with a Video Monitor, with the help of this you can glance that baby’s still sleeping peacefully. Before buying, you should check the quality of video and image in low light.
- Range of monitor always matter. You should go with the longest possible range. If your baby monitor has the feature of the long-range, you can watch your child outside of your house too.
- In terms of the video monitor, You should always check the display of parent unit, because some of the baby monitors don’t come with a separate monitor, you need to connect your phone in order to monitor your child.
- Always keep your home and lifestyle in mind when choosing a monitor. If you live in a small apartment then probably you don’t need a long-range monitor. First, understand your needs and environment and then select a perfect one according to your needs.
- At the time of buying a baby monitor, you should look at what other people are saying about this baby monitor. If the reviews are positive, then you will quickly know that the baby monitor is perfect.
- One more thing, If you are purchasing a baby monitor for twins, then you should look at how many cameras you can connect with this baby monitor.
Types of Baby Monitor
1. Audio Baby Monitor
Audio Baby monitors are the most inexpensive type of baby monitor that means you are a great cost-effective option for keeping tabs on your baby. This is the perfect way to know when your baby is awake or needs you. Audio baby monitors are famous because of their low price.
Things to Consider
- Sound quality is the most important things when it comes to the audio baby monitor. You should go with a baby monitor which has clear, easy to hear and has an excellent volume adjustment. For best results, you should place the monitor about 3 to 10 feet away from your baby’s crib.
- Range of monitor is another critical feature. If possible, you should try different baby monitors to get a better idea about their work.
- Background noise will irritate you, Sound or voice activation is also a great feature to consider because it will help you to filter any background noise, in result, when your baby is quiet then the monitor is quiet, the monitor will immediately turn when your baby cries.
2. Video & Visual Monitor
The parent widely uses video monitors because of their relatively affordable price, and the camera allows you to check the real-time status of your little one without waking them up with creaky floors and doors.
Video baby monitor offers you convenience; You can see why your baby is crying, that means you can also decide whether to go or not. Here you get two different options, first one is with a dedicated parent unit, which means you will get a parent unit which has attached display on it and the second one comes with WiFi, You need to use your phones as a parent unit.
With video monitor, you will also get extra features like zoom, pan & tilting, two-way speaking, voice/sound activation, additional cameras, night vision, and big size of the screen.
Things to Consider Before Buy
- Quality of cameras will always matter in terms of a video monitor. It is important to see your baby is vital for this type of baby monitor, so if you can, please check the quality of the video.
- With video baby monitor, you carefully consider where to put the camera. Don’t place it too close in order to see them because it will increase the risk. Just make sure you should not put monitor within reach of your child. They can grab the cord if they reach it.
- At the time of buying the baby monitor, you should think about the future; if you are planning for another baby then you will use the baby monitor for a long time then you should go with a baby monitor which has the ability to add an extra camera if there are twins in future. You can also add multiples cameras in different parts of the larger room in order to keep tabs on your kid.
3. Baby Movement Monitor
Breathing pattern for a newborn baby is not constant; Sometimes, it may stop and start again, Movement Baby Monitor will help you in this condition.
These types of monitors keep track of your baby’s Movement, Pulse and heart rate. Movement monitor alerts if there is an uneven change in baby’s breathing.
They are not technically proven to prevent SIDS, but they will alert you about such types of a medical condition. There are two types of Baby Movement Monitor : Sensor Pads and Wearable.
Sensor Pads Vs Wearable
- Sensor Pads
Sensor pads baby monitors are widely used by the parent. You can efficiently utilize sensor pads under the crib mattress. This baby monitor is specially designed to detect the slightest movement in your baby’s body.
Wearable baby monitors offer you more convenient while traveling; You need to clip it onto your baby’s diaper. You can also attach it to the cloth. Wearables are tiny in size, Like the USB or pen drive, The size depends upon the model, but if you travel a lot, then you should go with a wearable baby monitor.
Things to Consider
- You should go with a Movement Monitor which has loud volume. Assume, If your baby is in danger and can’t hear the sound of the alarm If possible, then go for a monitor which has a feature of vibrating.
- EMF of the baby monitors can harm your little one, So at the time of purchasing, you should select a monitor which has the lowest possible EMF.
- You should go for the baby monitor, which has the feature of both video and audio.
4. Digital Monitors
Digital Monitors are particular types of monitors which use encryption technology to transmit the data; Because of its encryption technology anyone can not easily pick up the audio or video by the other receiver, That monitor is most costly than any analog monitors because of its security.
Things to consider
- You should go with a baby monitor which use the latest encryption technology.
5. Wireless Network Monitors
Wireless Network Monitors doesn’t have a dedicated parent unit; You need to connect your WiFi device as a parent unit. It allows using your phone, tablets, laptop, and computer as the receivers. Almost all the baby monitors can send a notification to the parent if their baby is in danger.
Things to consider
- Range of the monitor always matters. You should go with a baby monitor which has long-range.
What features should I look in a Baby Monitor?
Different types of baby monitor are available in the market which is developed to satisfy the diverse needs of the parent; Baby monitor helps the parent to better monitor their baby, Here is the list of some features which you should look at the time of buying a baby monitor.
Sound activation is of the cool feature; In the feature, baby monitor tends to act when it senses air conditioner or ambient noise. You should pick up the baby’s monitor, which has sound activation if you won’t want to stay awake all night. Those type of baby monitor only activates if your baby makes sound, cry, movement, or uneven breathe.
Almost all the baby monitors come with same fantastic add-on like the features can turn on the soothe, the baby back to sleep or adjust and control the room temperature.
DECT technology is used to transmit the clear sound for the monitor to the handset, Low-frequency band which only for voice-only communication when going for an analog which doesn’t have DECT technology. It is the specially developed technology which provides you with crystal clear audio. It eliminates the annoying white noise you hear from analog monitors.
Light-up Sound Indicator
The light-up sound indicator is a useful feature for Deaf Parents; It allows you to know visually when your baby is crying. This features can be functional even when the sound of the handset is muted or low.
Some baby monitors use the cell which is not rechargeable, Like which is used in the TV remotes. At the time of buying you should go with a monitor which has rechargeable batteries. The rechargeable battery will save your money if doesn’t make send to change the cells every time.
Video and Sound Interference Filters
Video and Sound quality of the baby monitor is the most important, because while buying a monitor it is essential to check the video image and sound. If you are purchasing the monitor from an offline store, then you should check it.
The video quality of the monitor should be bright and clear. Go with the monitor which has sound activation technology that means your monitor only active when your baby makes noise.
Multiple Portable Handset Receivers
You should go with a baby monitor which allows you to connect multiple portable handset receiver. Some of the models also come with an extra set of headsets which used in other room or the kitchen.
Night Vision Technology
Night vision technology allows you to see your baby, when they are in the darkroom or the light of the room is off. When you buy a baby monitor, you should go with a monitor which has Night vision technology; Some baby monitors also allow you to control the brightness of your screen.
Now in the today’s world, security is the essential things, Wireless encryption technology encrypts all your audio or video while transmitting so that anyone can not catch it with another receiver, Digital baby monitor are particular types of the baby monitor which use such technology. They are the best in terms of security.
Display Quality & Size Of The Screen
Quality and Size of the monitor are the most important if you are buying a video baby monitor. You should go with the larger screen and higher resolution. You can also go with a network baby monitor which allows you to use the screen of your phone as a receiver or parent unit.
Two- Way Communication allows you to talk with your baby when they are crying; It will enable you to soothe baby remotely. This feature comes with all the standard baby monitor.
Range of monitor always matter. You need to understand your needs then go with the monitor which has sufficient range according to your needs. If you are in a small house, then range not matter because almost all the monitor has a range of up to 600m.
The battery is the life of every electronic device; It is essential to determine the battery life of the monitor. It doesn’t make sense to go with those monitors which you need to recharge frequently.
If you travel a lot, then you need a portable monitor. At the time of buying a monitor, you should look at the camera of the monitor is mobile or wall-mounted.
Use Baby Monitor Safely
Hide Power Cords
You should keep any cord at least 3 feet away from the crib to avoid a strangulation hazard. If you are using a wall-mounted camera, then you should make the power cords out of baby’s reach.
Movement monitors are not SIDS safeguards
Movement monitor is capable of monitoring or detecting the baby’s breathing patterns, but most of the experts do recommend movement monitor to detect the SIDS.
You should follow the below instructions to choose a perfect baby monitor for yourself; You can also explore our blog to select an ideal baby monitor for yourself. This blog will help you.
We hope this article on “Which Baby Monitor Is Best” helps you to select a perfect baby monitor for yourself. If this article is helpful for you, then kindly share it with your friends, Stay connected with us.