What is a Baby Monitor?
The Baby Monitor is a special type of equipment which helps you to protect your child from danger & take better care of your little one. It helps you to reduce anxiety and stress and allows parents to get a bit more peaceful sleep at night. What’s more impressive is that it is a great way to keep tabs on your baby no matter which part of the house you’re in. Trust me, it could save you a lot of headaches, and it offers you a peace of mind you need to be in your bed. Plus, it ensures your baby is safe and comfortable 24×7, even if you aren’t in the room.
In some condition, Breathing pace of the newborn baby isn’t even, sometimes the breathing pattern is too fast, and sometimes it may be too slow. Those uneven breathing patterns will stress you; the baby monitor will help in this condition. It helps you to better care of your baby; Lots of companies and their experts have invented the Baby Movement Monitor to protect your baby from any threat better. It will alert you if there are any sudden changes in your baby’s body.
However, choosing the best baby monitor for your little one isn’t easy. There are so many brands available in the market with distinct features, made for different needs such as Baby Movement Monitor that is specially made for a baby who has a problem in breathing, has a slow heart rate, or has chronic lung disease or sleep apnea. It isn’t for babies who are normal and healthy. That’s why it’s good to read up on each baby monitor, compare their features, pros & cons, and what’s most important, what you’re looking for, and if it’s worth your money.
In this buying guide, we will help you to choose the best baby monitor for your needs. So without any further delay, let’s get started!
What does Baby Monitor cost?
For almost all the parents, a baby monitor is an essential tool for the nursery, which allows you to listen and see the real-time status of your baby. Talking about the cost, there are two basic types of monitors : Only Audio and Audio + Video combination.
- Only Audio Monitors range in price from $15 to $75.
- Video Monitors cost $50 to $200.
The standard Audio Baby Monitor will come with a one-parent unit, one child unit, AC adapter, and battery backup. Talking about the Video Baby Monitor, the video monitor comes with a tabletop or the wall-mounted camera, at least one video monitor (need to use your phone as a monitor) and an AC adapter. A baby monitor will give you the convenience of check on your baby without having to be present in their bedroom and risk waking them up. You can move around your house or even outside, and be immediately alerted if your child makes a sound or is unwell.
Questions should ask yourself before buying a Baby Monitor
Do You Really Need a Baby Monitor?
If you and your baby sleep in the same room or you live in a small apartment where you can always hear or see what your baby is doing, then in that condition, you probably don’t need a monitor. A baby monitor is for a parent who always not stay with their child, and due to the ample space, they can’t hear the sound of crying. A baby monitor will help you to know the real-time status of your baby. It offers you the convenience of getting things done around the house anytime. A parent who is using the baby monitor or report shows that they sleep better because they know the monitor will alert them if their little ones wakes up or feels unwell.
Why do you need a Baby Monitor?
It is imperative to understand your needs at the time of buying baby monitors because different types of baby monitors are developed for different needs. Like a long-range baby monitor is best if you live in a big house; for a small apartment, you don’t need a long distance baby monitor.
Video or Audio Monitor
Both the monitors are perfect but made for different needs. Like video baby monitor will help you to know the real-time status of your baby, but it will cost you more than audio monitor. But, Audio Monitor will only allow you to listen to the sound from your baby’s room. We suggest you go with a Video Monitor because the monitor will provide you with more features.
How many receivers or transmitters do you need?
Usually, the baby monitor comes with one receiver and one transmitter, but in some particular condition, you will need an extra camera (transmitter), like if you have twins, and both are in different rooms. So, to monitor both of them, you need an additional camera; you may also need an extra receiver if two-person want to monitor the baby.
How wide range will you need?
The range of monitors will always matter. If you live in a small apartment, then you don’t need a baby monitor with a long-range, but the issues of range matters if you are in the big house. It has a range of 500- 1200 feet.
Things to consider before buying Baby Monitor
- To reduce the possible interference and increase clarity, You should go with a model which has a frequency of more than 900 Mhz or higher.
- The battery is the life of every electronic device; You should go with a baby monitor, which has the feature of low battery alerts or the model with a prominent low battery light.
- It’s a time of wireless; A wireless receiver will give you the most options with finishing cords inside and outside the house. Look for one with a belt clip to free up your hands.
- You should go with a model with a sound-activated light; this will flash when it detects noise. It will help you to track your infant while doing other work like vacuuming, talking on the phone, or listening to music.
- Always consider going with a Video Monitor, with the help of this you can glance that baby’s still sleeping peacefully. Before buying, you should check the quality of video and image in low light.
- You should go with the best long range baby monitor. If your baby monitor has the feature of the long-range, you can watch your child outside of your house too.
- You should always check the display of the parent unit in a video baby monitor because some of the baby monitors don’t come with a separate monitor. You need to connect your phone to monitor your child.
- Always keep your home and lifestyle in mind when choosing a monitor. If you live in a small apartment, then probably you don’t need a long-range monitor. First, understand your needs and environment and then select a perfect one according to your needs.
- While buying a baby monitor, you should look at what other people are saying about this baby monitor. If the reviews are positive, then you will quickly know that the baby monitor is perfect.
- One more thing, If you are purchasing a baby monitor for twins, then you should look at how many cameras you can connect with this baby monitor.
Types of Baby Monitor
1. Audio Baby Monitor
Audio Baby monitors are the most inexpensive type of baby monitor that means you have a great cost-effective option for keeping tabs on your baby. It is the perfect way to know when your baby is awake or needs you. Audio baby monitors are famous because of their low price.
Things to Consider
- Sound quality is the most important thing when it comes to the audio baby monitor. You should go with a baby monitor, which has clear, easy to hear and has an excellent volume adjustment. For best results, you should place the monitor about 3 to 10 feet away from your baby’s crib.
- The range of the monitor is another critical feature. If possible, you should try different baby monitors to get a better idea about their work.
- Background noise will irritate you. Sound or voice activation is a great feature to consider because it will help you to filter any background noise. As a result, when your baby is quiet, then the monitor is quiet, the monitor will immediately turn when your baby cries.
- 5-Level Sound Indicator and Vibrating sound alert features are reassurance for deaf parents.
2. Video & Audio Monitor
The parent widely uses video monitors because of their relatively affordable price. The camera allows you to check the real-time status of your little one without waking them up with creaky floors and doors.
Video baby monitor offers you convenience; You can see why your baby is crying, that means you can also decide whether to go or not. Here you get two different options, first one is with a dedicated parent unit, which means you will get a parent unit with the attached display on it and the second one comes with WiFi, You need to use your phones as a parent unit.
With video monitor, you will also get extra features like zoom, pan & tilt, two-way speaking, voice or sound activation, additional cameras, night vision, and big size of the screen.
However, Night vision technology offers a clear image when your baby in the darkroom at night or when the lights are low or off. Some models also provide Multi-Camera Expandability of a single parent unit to keep an eye on twins sleeping in different rooms.
Things to Consider Before Buy
- The quality of the camera always matter in terms of a video monitor. The high-resolution camera offers smooth and clear video. Infant Optics DXR-8 video baby monitor provides you to operate the camera from your parent unit. It allows you to pan the camera from side to side remotely, digital zoom to see more details, and also allows you to tilt it up and down. The camera provides you with the best view of your baby, even if you are in another room.
- With a video baby monitor, you carefully consider where to put the camera. Don’t place it too close to see baby closely because it will increase the risk. Just make sure you should not put monitor within reach of your child. They can grab the cord if they reach it.
- While buying a baby monitor, you should think about the future. If you are planning for another baby, then you are going to use it for a long time, then you should go with a baby monitor, which has the feature of camera expandability. You can also add multiples cameras in different parts of the larger room to keep tabs on your kid.
3. Baby Movement Monitor
The breathing pattern of a newborn baby isn’t constant; Sometimes, it may stop and start again, Baby Movement Monitor will help you in this condition. It keeps track of your baby’s movement, pulse, and heart rate while doing your daily routines. It alerts you if there is an uneven change in the baby’s breathing.
However, it isn’t technically proven to prevent SIDS, but it alerts you about such types of medical conditions.
Baby Movement Monitor is of two types available in the market : Sensor Pads and Wearable.
Sensor Pads Vs. Wearable
- Sensor Pads
Sensor pads baby monitors are widely used by the parent. You can efficiently utilize sensor pads under the crib mattress. This baby monitor is specially designed to detect the slightest movement in your baby’s body; an alarm will sound if movement stops for more than 20 seconds.
Wearable baby monitors offer you more convenient while traveling; You need to clip it onto your baby’s diaper. You can also attach it to the cloth. Wearables are tiny in size, Like the USB or pen drive, the size depends upon the model, but if you travel a lot, then you should go with a wearable baby monitor.
Things to Consider
- You should go with a Movement Monitor, which has loud volume as well as vibrating features. Assume, If your baby is in danger and you can’t hear the sound of the alarm. If possible, then go for a monitor which has a feature of vibrating.
- EMF of the baby monitors can harm your little one, So at the time of purchasing, you should select a low EMF baby monitor.
- You should consider a baby monitor, which has the feature of both video and audio.
4. Digital Monitors
Digital Monitors are particular types of monitors that use encryption technology to transmit the data. Because of its encryption technology, anyone can’t easily pick up the audio or video by the other receiver. This monitor is slightly costly than any analog monitors because of its added features security and clear sound quality.
Best Digital Baby Monitor
- VTech DM221 Audio Baby Monitor
- Philips Avent SCD570/10 Dect Baby Monitor
- Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
Things to consider
- You should think over a baby monitor that uses modern encryption technology.
5. Wireless Network Monitors
Wireless Network Monitors don’t have a dedicated parent unit; You need to connect your WiFi device as a parent unit. It allows using your phone, tablets, laptop, and computer as the receivers. Almost all the baby monitors can send a notification to the parent unit if their baby is in danger.
Things to consider
- A long-range baby monitor with the high-resolution display is perfect for wireless network monitor.
What features should I look at in a Baby Monitor?
Different types of baby monitors are available in the market, which is developed to satisfy the diverse needs of the parent. The baby monitor helps the parent to better monitor their baby. Here is the list of some features which you should look at the time of buying a baby monitor.
Sound activation is one of the cool features of the baby monitor. Generally, a baby monitor tends to act when it senses air conditioner or ambient noise. But, you should pick up the baby monitor, which has the feature of sound activation if you won’t want to stay awake all night. It activates only if your baby makes sound, cry, movement, or uneven breathing.
DECT technology is used to transmit the crystal clear sound coming through the monitor to the handset. Baby Monitor with DECT technology uses a separate 1.9 GHz low-frequency band that’s exclusive for voice communication, instead of 2.4 GHz frequency band, which is commonly used by other devices in your homes such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, and wireless devices.
Further, DECT technology eliminates the annoying white noise you hear from analog monitors. So, it assures only sounds you hear are your little ones. In addition to that, it ensures zero possibility of data leaks because of secure transmission, encrypted signals.
Light-up Sound Indicator
The light-up sound indicator or 5-Level Sound Indicator is a useful feature for Deaf Parents; It allows you to know visually when your baby is crying. This feature can be functional even when the sound of the handset is muted or low.
Some baby monitors use the battery, which is not rechargeable, like which is used in the TV remotes. But, you should pick a model that has rechargeable batteries. Since the rechargeable battery will save your money if you don’t want to change the battery every time.
Video and Sound Interference Filters
Video and Sound quality coming through the monitor to the handset is the most important. It is essential to check the clarity of the sound or video image while buying a baby monitor. After all, what’s the purpose of having a monitor if you can’t get a clear audio or video at all.
Moreover, the video quality of the monitor should be bright and clear. Go with the monitor, which has sound activation technology that means your monitor only active when your baby makes noise.
Multiple Portable Handset Receivers
You should go with a baby monitor, which allows you to connect multiple portable handset receiver. Some models also come with an extra set of handsets which is used in other room or the kitchen.
Night Vision Technology
Night vision technology allows you to see your baby when they are in the darkroom, or the light of the room is off. When you buy a baby monitor, you should go with a monitor that has Night vision technology. Some baby monitors also allow you to control the brightness of your screen.
Now in today’s world, security is the essential things. Wireless encryption technology encrypts all your audio or video while transmitting so that anyone can’t catch it with another receiver. A digital baby monitor is a particular type of baby monitor which uses such technology. They are the best in terms of security.
Display Quality & Size Of The Screen
Display quality and Size of the screen are the key features when you are going to buy a video baby monitor. You should go with the larger screen and higher resolution. However, you can also go with Wireless Network Monitor, which allows you to use the screen of your phone as a receiver or parent unit.
Two- Way Communication enables you to talk with your baby when they are crying. It enables you to soothe the baby remotely. What’s cool about this feature is it is available in all the standard baby monitors.
You need to understand your needs then go with the monitor, which has a sufficient range. If you have a small house, then the range doesn’t matter because almost all the monitor has a range of up to 600m.
The battery is the life of every electronic device; It is essential to determine the battery life of the monitor. It doesn’t make sense to go with those monitors which you need to recharge frequently.
If you travel a lot, then you need a portable monitor. At the time of buying a monitor, you should look at the camera of the monitor, whether it is mobile or wall-mounted.
Use Baby Monitor Safely
Hide Power Cords
You should keep any cords at least 3 feet away from the crib to avoid a strangulation hazard. If you are using a wall-mounted camera, then you should make the power cords out of the baby’s reach.
Movement monitors are not SIDS safeguards
Movement monitor is capable of monitoring or detecting even the slightest uneven baby’s breathing patterns, but most of the experts don’t recommend movement monitor to prevent SIDS.
It doesn’t make sense how many bells or alarms a baby monitor sounds; it will never be able to replace a parent or guardian but, a baby monitor undoubtedly the life saviour of deaf parents as well as a newborn baby having uneven breathing pattern. It brings calms and increases the productivity of the parents while they are busy with their daily routine work around the house. They needn’t be worried at all about their baby while staying away. Last but not least, it is indeed a piece of equipment like a third pair of eyes.
We hope this guide will help you to select a perfect baby monitor for your family. Kindly share it with your friends, Stay connected with us.
Read More: When to Stop Using a Baby Monitor?